Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Scary Scary

Yesterday was the second possible beginning of the end for me. Remember this post about the first person to get laid off in my office? Well now the count is up to two. Yesterday one of my girlfriends at work got a visit from one of the corporate bigwigs. Apparently it wasn't to congratulate her on a job well done and give her a fat raise. She gets to work through the end of the week and then she's done. I'm not only going to miss this girl, but I'm getting more and more nervous about my job security.

The first guy to get fired had only been with us for a few months (he was the newest to the office). This girl who got pink-slipped yesterday is the second newest employee (since this summer). Guess who comes in third place? Me! I've been here for a little over a year, but I'm the third newest. I really hope there isn't a pattern forming... :\

And let's be honest - I don't really do all that much. I mean, I'm at work right now and I'm blogging. I pretty much open and distribute incoming mail, answer and direct phone calls (about 10-20/day as opposed to about 50-75/day before), and process and log outgoing mail. I used to do a lot more, when we were busy. Since I work for a construction company, work has slowed down drastically since this past summer. Hopefully things will pick up a little now that spring is coming up. We'll see.

Should I start looking around to see what other jobs are out there just in case? Or should I just ride it out and hope things pick up soon?

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Hmmm, that's a little disconcerting. I'd look around and see what is out there for right now, just in case. It's always better to be prepared! And make sure you're saving as much money as you can in the meantime. Hopefully you'll get to keep your job! :)

PS: My verification word is tumsher.

Elise said...

I'm with laurel...I'd start looking around just to see what's available. Who knows- maybe you'll come across something that will be a little more stable that you'd enjoy more...I think the safest areas right now are healthcare & consumer goods. Those seem to still be doing really well...