Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Letter From Jed

I just wanted our faithful blog readers to have a little peace of mind about our financial situation. While we aren't doing that great, we are going to be ok, and we are not starving to death.

For any noobs reading our blog, Ali was let go from her job a little more than a month ago. Since then, we have been living off of my part time paychecks and Ali's severance pay (we received her last check this week).

For the next two weeks, I will only be working part time (20 hours per week). Then, for the rest of the summer, I will start working full time and will be making twice as much. That will help a lot. So Ali has all summer to find a job, which is much easier to do when all of the students are out of town!

Apart from the doubled income, Ali has been responsible enough to get me to start putting money into my savings account. Over the last 3 months, we have been able to save up some extra money which we can use if we ever get short on our bills (we haven't had to use any of it yet).

Also, we have learned the skill of being frugal. Ali loves finding good deals and clipping coupons. We have also had a lot of fun doing things for free (like Geocaching...which is my new favorite thing to do - google it if you don't know what it is).

Additionally, we have a lot of food storage (once again thanks to Ali, and Grams) so by no means do we ever go without eating, even though I could do without it....

No comments: