Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Something's Wrong

**Personal Post - don't read if you can't handle it**


About a year ago, I started having occasional pain in my abdomen after love-making. The episodes got worse and worse and then I started having them randomly, for no reason, every so often. Then I my hair started falling out in droves and I started having breast tenderness/pain. I hadn't had insurance since last May, so I just rolled with the pain because paying out of pocket to go to the OB/GYN was financially not an option.

A few weeks ago, after a particularly painful couple of days, I started doing research online to see if I could self-diagnose myself, or at least come up with some possibilities. I came across what's called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or PCOS, and it sounded like I fit the bill. I called an OB/GYN registered with our insurance, scheduled the next available appointment, and called it good.
Ironically, we went out with some friends that same night and found out that my friend had PCOS. What are the odds? She recommended her OB/GYN; I called the next day to cancel my appointment with Joe Shmoe and scheduled an appointment with "Dr. Sak".

At the appointment, I told the doctor my concerns and he checked me out, drew some blood, and sent me to get a sonogram. The tech told me that she saw at least one cyst on each ovary. I have an appointment in two weeks to go over the results of the blood test and the sonogram.

10 comments:

Girly Winston said...

Being a girl can be the pits sometimes. Hope you can get a remedy sooner rather than later.

e. said...

Ali, you will get through this! I know a good bit of people who have been covered in cysts and all have gone on to live fruitful lives! Hang in there, gal! I'm praying for you!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry :( it's scary. I wish I could do something for you. :(

Breanne said...

Oh my goodness! I hope things go okay.

The Hicks of Kentucky said...

I am sorry your are having to deal with this. I had a friend who had that, that can be very painful. Please let us know if you need anything. I will keep you in my prayers.

Shona Tavitian said...

hi, you don't me. I actually saw your post through my friends blog (Ashley Hasley). Try not to stress too much! I too have PCOS, I found out in February. Though it was never painful to me it did cause us to have infertility issues. But with the right Dr. (I found an awesome Holistic Dr in Santa Monica) my PCOS is under control and I'm pregnant!
I know the diagnosis can be scary to hear (I cried) but it's completely manageable and from what I hear very common...one in ten women have it.
:) - I hope this helps, it's probably very weird to get a comment from someone you don't even know!!

Vallen Family said...

Ali,

not that you want to hear about other peoples deals...but on an upside because I'm sure you and Jed want to have little Alis and Jeds runnin around but I have cyts too but still can have kids. I'm not trying to lesson the severity of your situation at all but just tryin to help you have hope. Hang in there.

Erica

Kristin said...

Ali, hang in there! I hope that you and the doctor will be able to figure out what is causing you so much pain and get it taken care of. I know that everything will work out for the best, and how wonderful it is to have a great husband by your side to help you out. I'll keep you in my prayers!

alyssa said...

I have the same thing! Small world eh? I hope your doctor can help you in every way possible!

J'Nette said...

Ali, I am so sorry you have to deal with PCOS. My best friend found out she had PCOS a year ago. It has been interesting going on this journey with her. If you have any questions let me know. I can refer them to her. The biggest issue was her crappy doctor, and it sounds like that wont be an issue for you. So good! She is currently trying some things to get pregnant because that has been a huge issue.