Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday Memoirs

Friday - We went to Jed's friend's wedding reception. The bride and groom were both Hispanic (I felt like we were the only white people) and everything they said/did was in Spanish. But I had a good translator. It was pretty fun and lively, and the food was great.
We hiked Mount Timpanogos! We went on what's called the "midnight hike" or "sunrise hike" where you start climbing around midnight and get to the top in time for the sunrise - hence the name. We went with the Nielsens and some friends of theirs. Jed and I made a great pair - I had a hard time going up the mountain, and he had a hard time going down the mountain. :)
We made it to the lake at the top (Emerald Lake) by sunrise and then the rest of the group continued on toward the tip and Jed and I turned around to go back down. There are a few spots where the trail consists of following previous peoples' footsteps on a thin strip across a snow slide. We did fine on them on the way up, but the second one on the way down was a challenge. We were almost across it, when I lost my footing, tried to grab on to some snow and it gave way, so I fell and went sliding down the mountain on this slab of snow and ice. Luckily we were close to one side, rather than right in the middle, and I was able to turn my legs towards the edge of the snow and slide on to some rocks that stopped me. Thank goodness for that because otherwise I would have gone about a mile striaght down and crashed into trees and boulders going who-knows-how-fast. Scary, scary.
We crossed 15+ waterfalls during the hike; saw deer, chipmunks, muskrats, a rabbit, and a porcupine; I got altitude sickness and am still trying to recover from its effects; my legs still ache; my contacts started blurring halfway up, and by the time we were coming down, I could hardly see anything; the hike was about 5.5-6 hours up and about 3.5-4 hours down.

Saturday - After the hike, we went to register Jed for his 5K. I stayed in the car because I was having a hard time functioning (I felt/acted like I was drunk, I was nauseated, and I had body aches and could barely move). We came home and crashed. We only slept for about 3 hours because I knew it would mess us up if we slept long. Plus we had a dinner date to keep.
We went to Five Guys with the McDaniels and then watched Public Enemies with them too. It was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time - I loved it!

Sunday - The Doxeys were having their homecoming and David's mission farewell all in one, so we went to their ward. It was very nice. The children all bore their testimonies in Spanish, and they had great accents. Debbie, Gary, and David gave wonderful talks and you could tell that they loved their experience in Mexico and that David is very much prepared to serve a mission.
After church, we went to the Doxeys' for an open house. There were so many people who came! I'm sure they felt very loved. It is so good to have them back and I hope that we will be able to see them frequently.
We came home and took a little nap before we headed up to the Busaths' for my Aunt Jonni's birthday dinner. We got there at 5 and didn't end up leaving until almost 11 because we were having so much fun playing games. :)


Alyssa said...

Holy Cow! You guys were BUSY this weekend! I am so glad that you didn't totally slide down the mountain. That could have done some damage. Are you glad you did it? We are going to do it sometime...

Megan said...

Woo Hoo!!! I'm SO proud of you and your mountain climbing achievement! I would NOT have made it, guaranteed!! That is awesome. Oh, and glad you didn't kill yourself on the way down too - but sounds like it was a scary close one.

Jenny said...

I've actually always wanted to go on that hike. It seems like everyone I know that goes on it has some near death experience... maybe this isn't the best hike for me! I'm glad you're safe though...

Too bad we didn't get to meet up while we were in Utah. I definitely wanted to see you guys, but the family stuff was kind of crazy! Maybe next time!